Saturday, December 29, 2018

Does your Pooh Eat Poo?

Eating feces, or what is otherwise known as Coprophagia, is common amongst various animals but I am happy to sat that it's not a common practice around here...…… until it gets cold outside. I have no idea why but for some reason a select few of my dogs think that frozen poo or what I refer to as "poosicles" make for a fun treat and I find it to be completely and totally disgusting! I have read countless articles and asked my vet why this happens and it seems everyone has a theory. Some say it's a vitamin deficiency, my dogs are fed better than I am. Some say it's boredom, my dogs are never alone and get tons of play and stimulation. Some say it's because there is poo in the yard, we pick it up on a daily basis and on, and on, and on. So I don't have any idea why this becomes an issue when Winter strikes but I aimed to stop it as soon as it started. I have tried various products to add into their food, I have heard that fresh pineapple helps but they won't eat it, scolding just gets me a look like "okay I'll just do it later," and I think that I have finally found the answer: Adolphs Meat Tenderizer, the kind that is unseasoned and does not contain MSG. I found it on Amazon and when it arrived I lightly sprinkled it on their food. I did this right in front of them so they got all excited thinking that they were getting a new treat and were ready to chow down when I returned the bowls. At first I didn't think that they would eat it because it does have a spicy smell to it but it's not supposed to have any flavor and apparently it makes their waste taste terrible hence stopping the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Adolphs-Unseasoned-Tenderizer-44-5-oz/dp/B0015AO7YO?th=1

I am happy to report that the dogs didn't flinch when I gave them their food and happily chowed down apparently not noticing or caring that I had added the seasoning. I am also happy to say that problem with the "poosicles" has been resolved. Since I started adding the tenderizer they avoid their frozen treats and I am no longer a horrified dog owner wondering what is lingering on those tongues they try to cover me in kisses with! 
If you are having an issue with your dog consuming feces please consult your vet before putting any type of additive in their food to make sure that it is safe and good for your pet.

If you're looking to add a Cockapoo Puppy to your family please visit our website:
https://www.cutecockapoos.com/