Friday, March 7, 2014

How Our Waiting List for Cockapoo Puppies Works

During the Spring and Summer months and during certain Holidays we get really busy with families wanting to adopt our Cockapoo puppies so we generally develop a waiting list. People have paid attention to how fast our puppies are adopted and they have learned that the sooner they reserve in advance the better because that way they don't have to worry about not getting a puppy when they want one. As soon as I post online that we have a waiting list for puppies I get flooded with questions, people often want to know how long our list is and they always fear that they won't get a puppy. It's really hard to give specifics on exactly when a person on our waiting list will get a puppy because it all depends on what they want, how many puppies are born, and what color/sex combination they are. I'll have people call me wanting specific answers and I feel bad because I always have to tell them it depends on the litter and I have to wait until they arrive before I can go into specific details. Here is an example, I am hoping that it helps clear up some of the common questions I get:


When a family gets on our waiting list to reserve a puppy in advance they place a $300 deposit and I ask them to tell me what they are looking for which would be color(s,) sex of the puppy, and if they have a certain time of year that they would prefer getting one. Here is an example of a waiting list that I would have, I will explain how it all works as we go through it.


Family #1 wants a Red Female only and they don't want one until June
Family # 2 wants a Red, Buff, or Apricot Female starting in May
Family #3 wants a Red Male only, any time of year
Family #4 wants a Chocolate Male, any time of year
Family #5 wants a Black Female, starting in May
Family #6 will take any color/sex as soon as possible
Family #7 will take any color female as soon as possible
Family #8 wants a Parti or Merle Male or Female as soon as possible
Family #9 wants any color Male as soon as possible
Family #10 wants a Chocolate Female any time of year


Okay, so the above is my pretend waiting list and lets say it's February 16th and I have a litter of puppies born with a total of 3 Black Females, one Parti Male, and one Chocolate Female and they will be ready for home the beginning of April. Once I know what is born I go to my waiting list and see who is on it and what they are looking for. Family #1 is instantly skipped over because they don't want a puppy until June, Family #2 is skipped because I don't have the color/sex that they want, Family #3 is skipped because I don't have the color/sex they want, Family #4 is skipped because I don't have the sex they want, Family #5 is skipped because they don't want one until May, Family #6 is contacted first because they will take any color or sex as soon as possible, so they went from being #6 on the list to #1 because of what was born in the litter. Once I figure out who is first to contact I send them an email with pictures of the available puppies and ask them to look them over and let me know within 24 hours if they see a puppy they like. If they don't want any of the ones that are available I will move onto the next family in line. So lets say Family #6 looks over the pictures and takes a Black Female, they are happy and now off of my list, leaving 9 families left on the list. I will now contact Family #7 because they will take any color female, so lets say they too take a Black Female, they are now off the list, leaving 8 families left. I then contact Family #8 and tell them I have a Parti Male, fabulous, they are happy with him and take him, one more family off the list and now I am down to 7 people waiting. I skip over Family #9 because they only want a Male and he was adopted by Family #8 and I then contact Family #10 and tell them I have a Chocolate Female, they are happy and adopt her, leaving 6 families on a list that was 10 long. So now I have one Black Female available and no one on my list wants her so I then post her on the website for the public to view and adopt. The remaining people on my waiting list will be contacted when my next litter is born as long as the puppies match what they are looking for. From my example you can see that if you are more open minded about a color/sex combination you can go from being #10 on the list all the way up to #1 because other people are very specific about what they want and you are not.


I hope this example makes it more clear as to why I cannot specifically tell you when I will have a puppy for you, it all depends on what you want and who is born, that is why I don't take deposits for a specific litter. I also hope that it makes the number of people on my waiting list less scary because your turn in line can change, again, all depending on what you want and what I get for puppies.


I have said this a million times but I will say it again, we do not know what color or sex combination we will get until the puppies are born! Our dogs have a ton of different colors in their bloodlines, we do this on purpose so that we can get a nice variety of colors, and each litter is a nice surprise!


Please do contact us if you want to get on our waiting list and reserve a puppy in advance, we take deposits anytime. When a litter is born and it is your turn to pick I will email you pictures of the babies to look over and choose from. You will have 24 hours from the time I email you to make your decision, if I don't hear back from you within that amount of time I will move onto the next family in line. I do not allow visits to pick out newborns in person so if you prefer to see a puppy in person before you adopt then the waiting list may not be the best option for you. Our deposits are non-refundable and once you pick out a puppy the deposit is applied to that specific puppy. We do not transfer deposits to another puppy if you later change your mind and want a different one, the deposit is an agreement that you are going to adopt a specific puppy and that I am not going to sell that specific puppy to anyone else.

One of the biggest things I ask of you when getting on the waiting list is to have patience and understand that you will have to wait for your turn to pick out a puppy. I've had people submit a deposit to get on the list and then email me three days later wondering when I will have a puppy for them. If I have babies due in November and you submit a deposit in November that doesn't necessarily mean that you will get a puppy from that litter, it all depends on what color, sex, how many puppies are born, and how many people are ahead of you in line. Patience is the key to being on a waiting list!