Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Homemade Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Dog Biscuits!

When I woke up this morning the temperature was -16 and with the wind blowing the last few days it has created wind chill temperatures close to -40 and -50, needless to say it is cold out and it's only early January! To help keep things warm I have done a lot of baking the last few days and decided to try making some home made dog biscuits. Due to the weather the dogs haven't gotten a lot of outdoor exercise so I figured this would help heat up the house and also give them an added bonus to their day! I found a recipe for Peanut Butter and Pumpkin biscuits, here is what it originally called for:


2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup canned pumpkin, 2 tbs. peanut butter, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon.  Preheat the oven to 350 and whisk the ingredients together in a bowl, adding water as needed to get the dough to the right texture. Roll out the dough, cut into pieces, and bake until hard, about 40 minutes.


I made a few changes: I had a 15oz can of pumpkin so I decided to use the whole thing because it would otherwise have been thrown away and I also did not add the salt. As I was mixing things I added water to get the dough to the right consistency and then just added more flour if it got too thin. Pumpkin is very sticky so as I was rolling the dough out on the cupboard I kept the bag of flour out so that I could add it as necessary to keep it from sticking to everything.



 To create the biscuits I rolled out the dough, used a doggy bone shaped cookie cutter and placed them on the baking sheet.




 Because my treats are small I only baked them for 13 minutes at 350 degrees. Due to having a lot of pumpkin in them the biscuits are softer but did harden a bit after they cooled off.



 Once they were cool enough I took them out to the dogs and they were instantly devoured! They are definitely something I would make again, the recipe is simple and the dogs thoroughly enjoyed them.

UPDATE: About a year after I posted this article some companies started adding an ingredient called Xylitol to their peanut (and other nut) butter, this ingredient is toxic to dogs and can cause death so please be sure to read the ingredients on your peanut butter before feeding it to your dog or using it in treats you make them. Xylitol is a sweetener and is often found in 'sugar free' foods including some peanut butters.




If you're interested in a Cockapoo Puppy please visit our website:
https://www.cutecockapoos.com/puppies-for-sale